The Future Of Education: Opening It Up To You

In a post I put up earlier today, I listed a few people whose writing on the future of education I find interesting. My brief list elicited a strong reaction from some on Twitter (my choices were advocates of “pure corporate ed reform,” and so on).

It’s been my aim to avoid the treacherous politics of education and stick to scientific research on how we learn. In this instance I think I’ve strayed from my mission. But now that I’ve opened this Pandora’s box, let’s open it all the way.

Please tell me, in the comments section below or in an email to me at annie@anniemurphypaul.com, who you listen to on the subject of education and where it’s headed. Here are the responses I’ve received so far:

• Larry Ferlazzo: Chris Lehmann, Randi Weingarten

• Amy R. Schultz: Michael Goldstein

• Michael Nardi: Education Sector, the Friedman Foundation, the Florida Department of Education

• Jason Prokop: The team at Duolingo

• John Burk: Steve Hargadon and the Future of Education blog

• Joe Ginese: Ed Cabellon, Christopher Conzen, Cindy Watkins Kane, Becca Obergefell, Julie P. Kirchmeier, Kristen Abell, Lisa Endersby

• Braden Welborn: Center For Teaching Quality

• Larissa Pahomov: Chris Lehmann

• Mickey McManus: LUMA Institute

• Meeta Sengupta: Kate Egerton, Rocketship Education, UoPeople

• Leonie Haimson: Joshua Starr, Yong Zhao, John Kuhn, Earl Kim

• Nilofer Merchant: Melinda Gates

• Katie Walker Wilson: Dale Dougherty, Annmarie Thomas

• Don Davis: Diane Ravitch, Stephen Krashen, Alfie Kohn, Paolo Blikstein, Dor Abrahamson, Michael Eisenberg, James Gee, Kurt Squire, Uri Wilensky, Mitch Resnick, Eric Klopfer, Mark Guzdial, Mark Warschauer

• Nikhil Goyal: Gever Tulley, Dennis Littky, Larry Rosenstock, Monika Hardy, Joichi Ito, Marc Ecko, Ken Robinson, Lisa Nielsen, Larry Rosenstock, Monika Hardy, Joichi Ito

• Andy Smarick: Neerav Kingsland, John White, Paul Hill, Ted Kolderie

• Patrick McHugh: Doug Lemov

• William Attewell: William Hughes and the Leading To Reform blog

• Bob Rothman: Bob Schwartz, Jal Mehta, Rick Hess, Dick Elmore

• Patrice Bucci: Doug Fisher, Nancy Frey, Yong Zhao, Sir Ken  Robinson, Nell Duke, Frank Serafini, Peter Johnston, Dick Allington

• Juliette LaMontagne: Project Breaker

• Christian Talbot: Cathy Davidson

• David Aaronson: Sam Chaltain

• Saltpar Parmar: Anurag Behar

• Georgia Born: Diane Ravitch

• Emily Morson: Roger Schank, Bill Gates

• Courtney Ostaff: Diane Ravitch, Daniel Willingham, Po Bronson and Ashley Merriman, Carol Dweck, John Taylor Gatto, James W. Loewen, Malcolm Gladwell, Nicholas G. Carr, Lise Eliot, Alison Gopnik, Matthew B. Crawford, Jonathan Kozol, Doug Lemov, Neil Postman, Paul Tough, Beverly Daniel Tatum, Alfie Kohn, Peggy Orenstein, E.D. Hirsch Jr.

• Anne Lawlor: Mary Gordon

• Glenda Eoyang: Leslie Patterson and Royce Holladay at the University of North Texas

Clearly, I have a lot of reading ahead of me!

22 Responses to “The Future Of Education: Opening It Up To You”

1. Ditto to Chris Lehmann. He’s my school’s Principal, and you can find him at http://practicaltheory.org/blog/

2. Jason Prokop says:

The future of foreign language education (online) will be from the team at Duolingo – http://duolingo.com/

For history education, it’ll be Sam Wineburg, a Stanford educators whose lessons have been download 250,000+ times and well-researched – http://sheg.stanford.edu/?q=node/45 and http://beyondthebubble.stanford.edu/

On the research front, John Hattie will continue gaining influence – http://www.amazon.com/Visible-Learning-Synthesis-Meta-Analyses-Achievement/dp/0415476186

3. Ken Libby says:

I’d recommend Audrey Watters for edtech: http://hackeducation.com/

Larry Cuban is another educator worth paying attention to: http://larrycuban.wordpress.com/

4. Don Davis says:

I had noticed that an earlier post (not the most recent) was heading in the direction of corporate ed partisanship.

The question is a bit vague (to me) as it’s formulated; however, given the “corporate ed” context, I’d say:

Diane Ravitch
    Stephen Krashen
    Alfie Kohn

Though I read more about what education can/should be than predictions of what may be.

Then it turns into a list of ed researchers… Paolo Blikstein, Dor Abrahamson, Michael Eisenberg, James Gee, Kurt Squire, Uri Wilensky, Mitch Resnick, Eric Klopfer…. oh and among those – Mark Guzdial has speculated most about potential impacts (good and bad) of corporatization… Mark Warschauer has also done a bit of research that’s important for considering ed (tech) policies.

5. Larry Ferlazzo says:

I’d second Braden’s recommendation of the Center For Teaching Quality.

6. Don Davis says:

Also -
    Susan Ohanian – who is quite informed – and funny

7. Bob Rothman says:

You should read “The Futures of School Reform.” Thoughtful essays from Bob Schwartz, Jal Mehta, Rick Hess, Dick Elmore, and others.

8. Rachel S. says:

Bennett Liss and Jamie Alcroft, with Community Funding Solutions http://communityfundingsolutions.com/about

9. Cathy Davidson at HASTAC/Duke is brilliant!

10. Patrice Bucci says:

Anything by these great voices: Doug Fisher, nancy Frey, Yong Zhao, Sir Ken Robinson, Nell Duke, Frank Serafini,Peter Johnston,dick allington,

11. Schools That Can Milwaukee and Alverno College are building a partnership with the direction of Dr. Mary Diez to increase the number highly skilled urban school leaders committed to Milwaukee, WI. The STCM/Alverno cohort will complete a high quality accelerated residency program that provides members with a masters of education/MBA degree culminating in administrative certification based on each school leader’s abilities based on assessment of their knowledge, skills and dispositions. STCM will coach and support these emerging leaders to increase the number of high quality school leaders who will serve in, develop and expand high quality public, charter and choice urban schools in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

12. Dr. Leslie Patterson at the University of North Texas leslie.patterson@unt.edu (and her colleague Royce Holladay) are creating conditions for learning for individuals, classrooms, and school systems. Their breakthrough work with Radical Rules for schools embeds theory of complexity with practice of teaching/learning.

13. JW Bolton says:

David Aspy’s work on humanistic education has all but been forgotten in the age of tests and data. Those are important to be sure, but they need to be balanced by softer classroom skills. In business, data and testing is easy. It’s the soft stuff that’s hard. It’s also what often creates innovation and competitive advantage.

Some of Aspy’s research findings in one paragraph: http://bit.ly/davidaspy. Dated, but still relevant.

14. Not so much and not only the future of education, but more the goals for the future of education. Moreover, Gert Biesta has argumented often against the ‘evidence based’ movement and advocates virtuosity fir teachers.

15. Sarah says:

Michael J. Feuer – he is Dean of the George Washington University’s Graduate School of Education and Human Development, former Executive Director of Behavioral & Social Sciences and Education at the National Research Council, and president-elect of the National Academy of Education.

His blog site (a very new venture): http://deanfeuer.wordpress.com/

16. Bill Ivey says:

I’ll add Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach to the list.

17. akaMsCrowley says:

Bill Ferriter
    Jenny Magera
    Daniel Pink (Drive)
    Barnett Barry (CTQ)
    Howard Reingold
    Scott McLeod (Shift Happens)

18. Rterman says:

Jensen speculated that education will be increasingly student-optimized and computer-run. Also, as Doug Detterman said at ISIR a few years ago, educators stubbornly deny that variance is often at the level of the child––his level of intelligence and conscientiousness––and not the school, district, etc. Hopefully that will change soon.

19. I began an Education related Blog earlier in 2012, and have been striving to build an audience on Twitter and through my website.

As an experienced Educator, Former Teacher-Librarian and Specialist, and Graduate Studies in Counselling Psychology, I would be delighted if you checked out my website:

http://bigideasineducation.wordpress.com or

@bigideasinedu on Twitter,

and decide for yourself if you think my work worthy enough to be posted here and included with this caliber of of Education Specialists!

20. Luann Lee says:

I’d add the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, and all 100K National Board Certified Teachers. http://www.nbpts.org and @NBPTS .

21. Duane Samuel says:

My district is reading “Mindset” by Carol Dweck. It’s part of an initiative to improve K-12 education and to really think about the transition years between k-1, 5-6 8-9 and how we can better prepare for students for the next level.